Masterpieces and Uncommon Commons XXXIII
Search By:
This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 6/17/2011
Right-fielder George Brown spent his finest seasons with John McGraw’s New York Giants, assisting them in winning two consecutive pennants in 1904 and 1905. After the 1907 season, the Giants traded him to the Boston Braves which started a journeyman’s trend for Browne. He started the 1909 season with the Chicago Cubs, and after only 12 games was sent to the Washington Senators which triggered one of the T206 tobacco card variations. Since Browne started the 1909 season with the Cubs, the ATC initially issued his T206 card with a Chicago Cubs designation. Before reissuing his card with the appropriate “Washington” team name, a vast number of “Chicago” –subjects were already placed in circulation. As an example, PSA’s “pop” chart indicates that 63.5% of the Piedmont Cigarette George Brown graded examples carry the “Chicago” club name while the remaining 36.5% reflect “Washington”. The almost a “2 to 1” disparity clearly indicates that a Washington Senators Brown T206 is the tougher version. With that in mind, presented here is Brown’s (misspelled on card, should be Browne) “Washington” version in an outstanding PSA 6 holder. Consider that this is one of only six Piedmont Cigarettes “Washington” George Brown’s with NONE graded higher. While the “unknown backs” category does include 9 higher graded specimens, we cannot provide with any certainty the advertisement backs these examples carry. Regarding the aesthetics of this high-end T206 offering, the flawless like baby blue background projects Browne’s brilliant image to a stratospheric level as he is about to make contact with the pitched baseball. Highlights include fine centering that only slightly favors the upper edge, clean borders, strong right angled corners, no glaring surface flaws, and a super clean Piedmont Cigarette advertisement back. Easily portraying qualities associated with a near-mint specimen, the technical assessment is somewhat harsh, but considering its eye pleasing splendor coupled with the “Washington” variation issue, most advanced T206 collectors would agree the “EX-MT” assigned grade is more than sufficient!
Click on a thumbnail above to display a larger image below
Hold down the mouse button and slide side to side to see more thumbnails(if available).

T206 George Brown (Browne) “Washington” Variation (PSA 6)  -  “1 of 6 “EX-MT 6” PSA Listed Piedmont Cigarette Examples;  NO PSA Listed Piedmont’s Graded Higher”!

Click above for larger image.
Current Bidding
Minimum Bid: $200.00
Final prices include buyers premium.: $1,007.93
Number Bids: 10
Auction closed on Friday, June 17, 2011.
Email A Friend
Ask a Question
Have One To Sell

Auction Notepad


You may add/edit a note for this item or view the notepad:  

Submit    Delete     View all notepad items